Monday, October 13, 2008

Variations on a Theme - Part 1


Today I needed to make a birthday card and a belated birthday card. Unfortunately, I forgot my new DIL's birthday! BLAH! (Happy Birthday C!). I'm horrible with birthdays, and being the 'newbie' in the family and living thousands of miles away from me, and my DIL for only 3 months, she took the full force of my forgetfulness! So for today's Variation on a Theme post, I will show you her card. See Variations of a Theme - Part 2 for the on-time birthday card.

I am in love with Unity Stamp Co. stamps. I have loved them from the first time I saw them and I have become even more enamored of them as time goes on. This Hey Chick set is fast becoming one of my go-to stamp sets. The little birds are so cute and the "Hey Chick!" sentiment defines me to a T.

So for C, I decided to make a simple card with a little bit of sparkle. I used Stazon black ink to stamp the chick onto watercolor paper. Even though I wasn't going to be using watercolors, I wanted to use my Prisma colored pencils, mineral spirits and blending stumps to color her in and watercolor paper adds a bit of texture. Also, the water color paper holds up to the blending needed to achieve that look.


Can you see the little bit of sparkle on the chick? I love the way Ranger Stickles create the sparkle. If you haven't tried Stickles to add some sparkle, you should! They are a type of glitter glue that, once they are dried, add a ton of sparkle to your project! They come in a wide variety of colors too!

When I am making a card for someone, I decorate the inside of the card as well. After all, a piece of paper slapped onto the inside kind of deflates the card when you open it up and are let down by the lack of decoration on the inside. I wanted to carry on the theme and came up with this simple decoration.


See tomorrows post for more Variations on a Theme - Part 2 for more details on a similar card. Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: