My one and only child ships out tomorrow morning for his second tour over in Iraq. I've know since before he finished his first tour that he would have to do a second tour and he has been warning me all month that this would be the month they go. This is not a shock or anything, but it's hard to send your child to go fight a war. The worry, the close calls he has had, missing him, etc. etc. is very hard on me and I hate it. I don't hate many things, because it takes a lot of energy to hate something. Energy better used towards something productive, so for me to hate something doesn't happen often. But war - yeah - I hate it.
He chose this life. He has always wanted to serve his country. From the time he was 8 years old, he told me he was going to be in the Army. He has been to places I will never, ever go to. He has seen things I will never see. He has seen things in his young life that NO person should have to see. He is my son, and I support him unconditionally, regardless of my worries and fears.
I carry a piece of shrapnel in my purse that he sent home to me when he was on his first tour. I carry it to remind me that people are doing things and living through things much more difficult than what I'm doing and hopefully, they are making a difference. When my son sent that piece of shrapnel home, the note that came with it said something along the lines of, "Don't worry Mom, I'll duck quicker next time!". He has always been the optimist and doesn't sweat the small stuff.
So, as my son heads off for tour number two, there will be a count up clock like I had on my last blog. It will count up until I hear from my son. When I hear from him, the clock will be reset.
Things are better over in Iraq. A lot of change has happened and I'm hopeful that this tour that he embarks on is better. Better as far as war goes anyways. Thanks for listening!
Sunday, October 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Your honestly is wonderful.........I don't know how I would handle it if I had someone over there......Your son should be very proud of his very strong mother.......
Post a Comment