Sunday, August 3, 2008

The One Where I Almost Fainted

I'm back from the Starving Artist Fair, and no, I didn't get any pictures. I completely forgot I had my camera tucked away in my little purse. Oh well! It was HOT out! So hot I almost fainted. We (meaning my Mom and #1 Brother's #2 Child - We will call her J) were just walking thru all the exhibits checking stuff out and we came across a vendor who made baskets by hand, who just happened to be married to an old friend of my Dad's. My Dad was former Police Chief here in the city where I live and the old friends wife has taken up basket weaving and had a booth set up. So, my Mom is talking. And talking. And talking. And talking. J and I have gone up and down the row we were in and come back, waiting for Mom to stop talking and keep moving.

Let me set the scene for you: There are hundreds of people. 90 degree weather. Scorching sun. I'm wearing capri's and a short sleeved shirt. Have my hair piled under my straw hat. Sweat is running down my back (sorry! but THAT's how hot it was!). Mom is still talking. I'm feeling light headed. I'm getting that feeling of things fading away at the edges of my vision. Almost like a camera scene in the movies where it pulls back and the perimeter of the screen starts to blur. I immediately sit down on the grass over to the side, knowing that if I don't sit down QUICK, I'm going to FALL down and it won't be pretty! I quickly finish my 3rd bottled water of the hour while I sit there waiting. J sits down too - not knowing I've come thisclose to fainting in public. After 15 minutes of sitting there, J and I decide we are just going to have to go drag her from the booth.

So, we finally drag her from the booth, go get more water and a snack and proceed to look at all the rest of the stuff. And this was some NICE stuff to be sure. I don't even think I can call it STUFF. It truly was art. To be a vendor at this event, you have to submit pictures and/or actual pieces of your art to be juried by the panel of members for acceptance. It isn't a craft fair - it's an art fair and they don't just let anyone in. And while it's free to the public the stuff is expensive. REALLY expensive. One vendor which I was really interested in, painted with acrylics some beautiful flowers. All kinds of flowers, all kinds of colors. I was looking at a 3x5 painting she had and was considering buying it. Until I saw the price tag - $95! YIKES! My hubby would have a HUGE problem with that!

So I didn't buy. And I didn't get a picture of it. And I didn't faint in public. All in all, it was a good time.

No comments: