Monday, August 11, 2008

Come Young Grasshopper, and let me show you a trick.

If you are as old as I am and grew up with two older brothers, I rarely had control of the TV. This was back in the days before remote controls, so that meant if you wanted to change a channel, you had to physically get up from your chair to turn the knob to a different channel. This was also before HBO and cable, so there were a limited amount of channels. One show my brothers always watched was Kung Fu with David Carradine. Hence the 'Young Grasshopper' reference. Anyways, I digress. Back to the trick part.

See the brads on the card below? I love brads. I think they really give a card a bit of dimension and interest. They are inexpensive and come in about a bazillion colors and styles - no joke! The only downfall of a brad is the fact that you have to pierce your paper and insert them thru to the other side. Not such a horrible down fall. Unless you want to put them on a single layer of paper, and don't want the split barb showing on the inside of your card. Just like the card below.


Some people don't mind the barb showing thru to the inside. I don't mind receiving cards that have the barb showing. But for me, personally, I have a hard time with that when I create a card. I want the recipient of the card to wonder how that got on the card and wonder what it is. As soon as you see the split barb on the inside, the wonder of how and what it is vanishes.

So how did I get those brads on my card? Are you ready for the trick? You will be amazed. Astounded actually. And then once I tell you, you will be "like DUH!". So here it is - I just snipped off the barb and glued just the top of the brad to the card. WHA-LA! It's that easy! I'm sure many of you seasoned craft veterans will scoff and say how stupid was that post! But for me, I'm all about the details and I just wanted to share a quick little trick for all the "Young Grasshoppers out there!

The Deets: All items by PTI. Brads by MM.

No comments: